Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Best Friends Wedding

I looked at my watch...again, and then at the line. Why oh why was my stupid best friend so popular that the line would be this long at his wedding reception? Is it bad to want to ditch your best friends wedding? People weren't moving! Why where they talking? Its not like we really want to talk to the bride and groom on their big day...okay, maybe most people do. Another step forward...that's progress...just another thousand left and I can get this stupid awkward moment over with and on with my life....

I guess I could have posted about this before I posted about the institute dance, since I went to my best friends wedding and then the dance, but I forgot.
So, I have a story for you all. Lets all go back about 7 years, okay? Ok...so, its like my first week working at Maceys as a bagger. I'm 16 and its my first job. My brother Richard works there too, but at this point in our lives he didn't like to acknowledge that I was his relative, let alone his little sister. So, I'm on my own in the "getting to know people" department, and suprisingly I am shy when I don't know anyone.
Well, the summer was ending and school had started and I was bagging one night and this guy worked that same shift as I did (along with like 10 other kids, but he is critical to the story) so, I notice his name tag says Craig. So, I start talking to him, and he's pretty cute. He's from my rival high school which is why I had never seen him before. We started talking and pretty much from that moment on I had the biggest crush on him. It was the begining of our really great friendship.
I also started hanging out with this girl named Jen who also knew Craig and the three of us started hanging out when Craig's crazy girlfriend broke up with him. We were always working together and hanging out when we weren't working. It was the best! Except that I was in love with Craig, and so was Jen, and Craig wasn't in love with either of us but still wanted to be friends. It gets a little complicated and I'm not going to go into details too much, but lets just say I know a little bit about unrequited love. So, we are still friends and me and Craig still talk like ALL THE TIME. He is seriously my best friend. Jen has issues with him and kind of fades a little bit (and I honestly can't blame her).
Graduation comes and goes for us and Craig goes on his mission. I go to Logan and end up hanging out with his girlfriend from before his mission. A lot of things happened there that formed a lot of opinions about Craig, his girlfriend, and why I still couldn't get over him. So, Craig comes home from his mission and starts dating his girlfriend again for a little bit, and then they break up. So I'm thinking this is my chance, and we hang out a little bit, but still nothing happens.
Then, God tells me to go on a mission and Craig wrote me a few times, but we're still definitely in the friends category. His ex-girlfriend went on a mission too at the same time...his ex that he never got over. So, I'm thinking that I get home a few months before her...totally enough time to win him over and then she'll come back and it'll be too late. Yeah, didn't happen like that.
I got home from my mission and he and I went on a date...I think? I still don't know what that was...but I'm sick of liking him. Its been 7 LONG years, and its not like I haven't tried to get over him...I have...with no success. And then one morning I woke up and was listening to Good Charlotte and realized that Craig hates Good Charlotte, and actually hates like everything that I do. We'd be miserable together! And then it was like *BAM* I was over him! YAY! Which ended up being a really good thing because said ex-girlfriend came back and they were engaged about 2 or 3 months later and got married last Friday.
Really long explanation, sorry, hope you're still here reading because now to the point: I used to be able to talk to Craig about anything and everything. I feel like I lost my best friend. And it sucked at his wedding because he told me how we totally needed to stay in touch and he still wanted to know what was going on with me.....yeah...no. I don't think so. I guess I'm weird that way...the whole he's married thing...I can't get past that. Plus, its not like we've even kept in touch since before this summer. So, it was WEIRD to say the least. But, its all good because I really am over him and that was the greatest feeling when I went to the reception....not wishing it was me. I was, and still am, happy for them. I wish them every happiness in the world.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I'm glad that you were happy for him. And yeah, things change after you're married with guy friends, or for the guy with girl friends. It just isn't the same. And sometimes it's sad, but life moves on, and you'll make new friends, and...okay, now I'm rambling.

Kar said...

I'm so glad you were able to finally get some closure. Closure is soooo nice. And yeah, it's too weird to be friends with a former crush, especially post-wedding. My husband stayed really good friends with his ex, and we hung out with she and her husband all the time when we lived in SLC, and I always thought it was SO WEIRD, but everyone else acted like it was so normal. Kind of bizarre.