Sunday, October 26, 2008

Meet Luke

"I knelt beside the unmoving body and gently rolled him so I could see his face. There was a deep gash across one of his cheeks and his face was already swollen. Despite the many injuries he had aquired, I could tell he had a very pleasant face and I knew deep inside me that if I let him die it would haunt me forever. I knelt and quickly thought the words I needed and repeated them in my mind hoping it would be enough to save him. When I finally opened my eyes, I could see that the bruises had started to heal and the gash was gone. 'Excellent' I thought to myself. I had healed him enough to keep him alive, but he still had enough injuries to not think I had anything to do with his healing. He opened his eyes and looked at me. He tried to speak, but I shushed him, "Its alright. You're going to be okay. I need to get you to a hospital." I pulled out my phone and dialed 9-1-1..." - Elizabeth

Okay, so this is how Elizabeth meets Luke. Luke is a really cool guy. He's probably one of my most favorite people because he's not like a lot of the other guys I write about. He's very athletic. He likes skate boarding, snowboarding, surfing...pretty much if it involves a board and nature he's there. He has a faux hawk...heck yeah. I like Luke because he's confident and persistent (hence why he got beat up by a bunch of punks...he didn't back down, even though he probably should have and it almost cost him his life. Good thing Elizabeth was around...) He can generally hold his own unless he is greatly outnumbered (like on that particular night). He plays soccer on his college's team and is pretty good. He doesn't let things go very easily, so when he doesn't understand something it bugs him until he figures it out, which is why he is so curious about Elizabeth..this amazingly beautiful girl who saved his life and then tries to avoid him at all costs afterwards. Its not the norm, so it bugs him until he figures it out.
He lives with two other guys in a two bedroom apartment just off campus (so he can skateboard to school every day). He doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up because he would rather play sports and all that as a hobbie, not a career. But he doesn't know what else he would want to do. Another thing that intrigues him about Elizabeth...she knows exactly what she wants out of life and is like a steam engine working towards that goal. He works full time at a movie theater as a manager. His dad left when he was a kid and his mom worked two or three jobs most of his life to keep the family (he and his two brothers) afloat. They have always been really close, and he talks to his mom about everything...including Elizabeth. So, there is a quick look at Luke! What do you think? Next time...Kathryn.

1 comment:

Kar said...

An interesting guy. I think it's a good idea to start with your characters and flesh them out. You're a good writer.