Saturday, November 22, 2008

Story Time

"You can lie to me, you can hate me, you can tell me anything you want; but you and I both know its a lie. We both know that nothing will ever truly come between us." The memory was burned into my head; I could still hear Luke's voice as I looked in the mirror and saw the most beautiful bride...a bride that was not about to marry her true love. - Elizabeth

Okay, so when I was waiting for forever in the stupid line to see Twilight on Thursday night-I seriously underestimated how die hard the twi hards are- I had my notebook and pen in hand and this scene for my book just came together. And then today I was listening to the new single from The Fray, who is my favorite band, and another scene came together. Any way, I thought I'd share a little bit from it. Any way, here it is:

The stars gleamed brightly down through the gossamer tents adding a sparkle that could not have been planned better. The meadow was lit by torches all around us whose shadows danced across the ground and left the feeling of centuries past. The silver and midnight blue-my sister's colors of choice- seemed to bring heaven and earth together, tying the moonlight and sky to the ground bringing heaven to us for a moment. I was sitting at a table with my friends admiring my sister, the bride, and her soon to be husband. They looked exquisitely happy, and as I saw them look into each others eyes; you could almost see into the eternity they were starting together. I was happy for Emily, I knew that she would be so happy with Ben...happier than I had any hope of experiencing. I was already betrothed to Joshua Smith. I had no hope of ever finding true love.
Joshua was quite the catch at first glance. If I hadn't known him my whole life, I might think differently of him. People noticed when he walked into a room, with his jet black hair and dark brown eyes that pierced you to the core when he looked at you. He towered over most people standing at 6' 7"; he even towered over me in stilettos which doesn't happen often. We did look good together...really good...a power couple. He almost seemed to expect, if not demand, your respect whether you knew him or not. I preferred a much more subtle presences that was just as, if not more, powerful in its own way. Joshua loved to be feared when I loved to be adored. By now I had lived through 23 years of heads turning whenever I entered a room. I would always catch people doing a double take of me when walking down the street. It was just part of being me. It was the same with Emily, none of us were surprised that she was getting married young, she had just turned 19 a few weeks ago. There was much less expected of her in comparison to me. I was expected to keep the traditions of our family-at any cost.
"Elizabeth....hey...." Kathryn was snapping her fingers in front of my eyes, "Hey chica, come back to us....Joshua is walking this way." Oh great, I thought, just the person I wanted to see...
"Sorry," I said now fully back in reality, "I was just thinking." I was really hoping they wouldn't ask me what had me so distracted. No one knew that I wasn't head over heels in love with Joshua. No one knew I kept dreaming of someone else; someone tall with sandy blonde hair and a very strong build. The only part of his face that I could remember were his eyes...one was green, and one was blue.
"Hey beautiful," Joshua leaned down and kissed my cheek quickly and then sitting beside me taking my hand in his.
"Hey Joshua" I said, trying to hide anything that might seem suspicious from my thoughts might lead to questions I really didn't want to answer. I didn't try to take my hand back, though I really didn't want him holding it. I had learned to just ignore any sign of affection he gave me...it was easier that way.
"Oh, great, perfect timing, Joshua! The dinner is about to start!" Kathryn said enthusiastically. As my father stood to greet everyone to my sister's rehearsal dinner, I looked around to see if I could see anyone I could talk to later to escape my current table. And then I saw him. He hurried in from the back, camera in hand, taking pictures of the front table where the rest of my family sat.
"Who is that?" Kathryn asked, and I watched her gaze follow the photographer as he silently moved to capture every angle. No one at the table had ever seen him, which didn't surprise me because he was, after all, the hired help. We rarely associated with them...we were above that.

2 comments:

Nat said...

You're really good at describing things in your stories.

Kar said...

I love it. Seriously, Suz, I think you could be published.