Monday, March 30, 2009

Snip Snip Snippet for you!

Okay, so this is another snippet of my ever growing book. This is where Kyla meets Jason post accident on the beach. She's not actually been alone in weeks because her mom has been worried and hovering over her since the hospital, so she convinces her friend, Ashley, to take her to Ashley's house so she can go for a walk alone on the beach. It takes some convincing, but Ashley finally agrees and this is what happens next:


Once I was safely away from Ashley’s view, I let a tear escape my eye and fall to the ground. I knew there was a wave of emotion dying to be released, but I held it at bay, as I had for a few weeks now. The sound of the ocean waves coming in and back out brought peace to my soul. I didn’t care where I went; I just wandered the beach until I was finally so tired that I just sat down. I was close enough to let the waves wash over my toes. I looked around to make sure I was alone, and finally opened the flood gates and let all the emotion I had hid these last few weeks come rushing over me.

I replayed my last memory of Jake over and over again. His face, that look in his eye when he told me he’d be alright, and to let him go. Being in his arms that last time, even if it wasn’t real it felt like it to me; and that was enough. I was so lost in my own thoughts I didn’t notice the changing tide until a wave taller than me came crashing down over me soaking me from head to toe. I heard my name…it sounded like Jake, and then another wave came in. I was brought abruptly back to reality and tried to stand, but the waves were pulling me deeper into the water. I saw someone walking quickly towards me as I struggled to break free of the water’s grasp. I tried to stand and slipped in the attempt, but didn’t splash back down like I was supposed to. I turned my head back to see who had caught me. He looked so familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on how.

“Are you alright?” It was the voice I had heard earlier, calling my name. It wasn’t Jakes voice, it was his. Funny how similar they had sounded at the time, but now it was clearly not Jake’s voice. He was tall, over 6 feet tall, I’d guess. His hair was dark, almost black and cut very short; but his eyes were a crisp blue. As blue as the ocean that now surrounded me. He reached down and picked me up as if I weighed nothing and carried me further in away from the water. Once he put me down I turned to face him,

“I’m okay. Thanks for your help.” I started ringing out my hair and my clothes.

“You should really be more careful out here. The tide changes quick and if you’re not careful it will pull right out there, and then I’d have to go for a swim which I don’t really mind doing…if I’m planning on getting wet.” He said with a smirk. Even though he was smiling, it wasn’t reaching his eyes. I could see a sadness there that went deep.

“I’ll remember that. I’m Kyla, by the way.” I held my hand out to shake his. He took it and said, “Nice to meet you, Kyla. I’m Jason” I still couldn’t put my finger on why he looked so familiar. It was going to drive me crazy if I didn’t ask him, so I did.

“I realize this may sound silly, or maybe even crazy, but you look so familiar and I can’t put my finger on how I know you…have we met before?” He looked at me for a minute and then started laughing. I just stood there wondering what was apparently so funny.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t usually get that question very often. Usually there’s screaming, followed by running, and more screaming…my last name is Tyde. I’m Jason Tyde.” OH. Light bulb turns on and of course I know who he is. Who feels like an even bigger idiot? Me. Not only do I nearly get washed away, but then I don’t even recognize People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive last year….wow. I’m a loser.

“Oh gosh. Wow, I feel really stupid right now. Of course I know who you are. I’ve seen like all of your movies.” If my face wasn’t already red from the tears and the near death experience, it was now. Even if it was red before, it was a deeper red now. He just laughed again.

“Honestly, Kyla, its really nice not to be recognized right away. All the screaming and the running gets old fast. So, thank you for not making such a big deal out of meeting me.”

2 comments:

Nat said...

I'm so glad you're working toward your dream!

Darling Details said...

thanks for sharing suz! We heart you!

Marci