Saturday, December 6, 2008

You know you're doing something right when...

...Everything blows up in your face. I saw this in reference to life. Here I was thinking that everything was going good. Yeah, I got laid off a month or so ago, but I had a job, my car was fixed and things were finally looking up...other than my whole lack of a social life thing...that was still down. But, otherwise, things were going great! And then...I went to work today, and they pulled me into the front conference room. Yep, you guessed it...layoffs....AGAIN. And yep, I got the boot...again. So, what do I do? I pick myself up and go on over to my local neighborhood Maceys and ask Bill if he's got some work for me. He says not really, but he'll see what he can do. Thank goodness I was a good worker last time I was there!
They really don't have any openings, but they are going to bounce me around until something more permanent becomes available. So, its looking like Friday and Saturday nights from 3-11 will be me in the deli and then up front whenever they can fit me in. It stinks, but its a job, and I am grateful for it.
I guess the company I was working for lost like $40 million of contracts in the last couple weeks and they just couldn't afford to keep all the temps that they had, so out with the ax and off with my head! Okay, not really and sorry for any graphic mental images I just gave you.
On a funny note, when I went in to talk to my new boss, Bill, I told him I just got laid off and he said "Why can't people wait until after the holidays? Why do they always do this right before Christmas?" It made me laugh at the time which was good because I was trying really hard not to cry. But, its all good, and I'm employed again and fine. I love how Heavenly Father really is looking out for me!

2 comments:

Nat said...

You know, I was just saying to Kar that things always work out, even if it's not in the way we expect them to. I'm sorry you got laid off, but I'm glad Macey's could take you, if only here and there.

Kar said...

Oh, bless your heart. I'm so sorry. Things are bad all around. Ben is pretty close to getting laid off himself. Scary times. You have a good attitude, and I think it's so great that you immediately went looking for work, instead of wallowing. Good for you. I'm glad the dude at Macey's is trying so hard to fit you in. I'll pray for you.