Monday, November 9, 2009

Music of the Heart

Back in the day, a long long time ago, before I knew who The Fray was...I was a HUGE Josh Groban fan. I mean HUGE. I LOVED his music. I even went to his concert the day before my 19th birthday and my awesome room mate at the time gave me her seat that was 3 rows from the front on the floor. Like right next to the stage. I almost touched him. At the time it was like my life's greatest achievement. W-O-W. I was a freak. I mean I still listen to his music. Some members on my mission gave me his Christmas CD the year it came out, and saved my sanity from completely disappearing. In fact, that is the main Christmas CD I still listen to when I feel so inclined to listen to Christmas music. I bring all this up because I was on Facebook today and since I'm a fan of Josh Groban on Facebook, they sent me a notification that Josh Groban has redone his website and to go check it out. Since I was sick of looking at my biology book and had a spare minute, I went to check it out and took a walk down memory lane of my freshman year of college. I'm sure Meredith remembers all this, as she was my room mate at the time.
    It is interesting to me to see how people influence my taste in music. For most of my life my brother B had a HUGE influence on what I liked, which is odd because we didn't really get along until I lived in Logan. But yeah, U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Depeche Mode, etc. were all bands that my brother liked, so I liked them too. Except now I actually do like them. Not just because my brother does.
    Then I moved away from home and went to college and met some really awesome friends. It was amazing and was introduced to all kinds of new music and because of those friendships, I am now a huge fan of Josh Groban, THE FRAY, Jack's Mannequin, Meese, Yellowcard, Maroon 5, Paramore just to name a few. And really, it has just been in the last few years that I have really realized how much I rely on music everyday. I have to have it on when I write (or I go crazy and people end up dead in my stories). I listen to music when I cook, when I scrapbook, when I drive, whenever its quiet, I just need sound.
    Any way, I hope you all have a fabulously, music filled week!

4 comments:

Meredith said...

It's so weird that you blogged about this because Tony put the Josh Groban CD in yesterday and it totally made me think of you! I was waiting in the car for Tony for a while and "Remember when it rained" came on and I started to do the hand motions. It made me so nostalgic! I miss you, Suzy. Maybe we can have a little meet-up at Temple Square next Friday. I don't know how much time we will have, though.

Amy said...

Music is great- I totally agree. It can change a mood or a day. So let the tunes roll...

Nat said...

Isn't it just so interesting how music can invoke memories? So cool. Every time I hear the song "Yellow" by Coldplay, it reminds me of this time in Logan that we could see the Aurora Borealis, so we drove out to some random road in the middle of all the fields and blasted that and watched the sky. It was awesome.

Kar said...

My best friend sang in a Josh Groban concert in SLC a couple of years ago! She said he was like a musical genius.