Monday, September 15, 2008

Random writing stories/comments

Okay, so this is just a post about my writing experiences this last week. First of all, B FINALLY read the manuscript I sent him like a month ago or so and so he called and we were talking about it. See, I ask B to read them because he will be completely and totally honest with me about it, but in a nice way. B is one of those people that could tell you to go to Hell and you're looking forward to the trip. So, he mentioned that it was a little Twilight-y, and my story is not supposed to be anything like Twilight, so I decided that I need to work on my character development...what is Jake really like? How would Jason Tide REALLY react in this situation...things like that.
Well, I was re reading some of the stuff I had written when Jake and Kyla's first date just came to mind, and I like it, I think it's a pretty awesome scene, and the whole time I was writing it I was thinking "does that sound Twilight-esq?" and if it did, I went back and rethought it, or left it depending on how I felt it fit in the story. It was really funny because one of my brothers was downstairs when I was writing and I asked him to tell me a cool car that wouldn't be in the Cullen's garage. Am I going a little overboard here? Probably.
I was watching the music video for "whatever it takes" by Lifehouse and when I saw the lead singer my first thought was "Wow, he has hair just like Jake...that is neat" here is a link so you all can see what Jake looks like.....kind of. Jake's got broader shoulders and is a little bit shorter than this guy....maybe....plus Jake's hair isn't blonde...he's got brown hair, but he styles it like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iawro7IfoCM
Speaking of Jake...I gave him a car this week in my writing...its a Metropolitan Gray Mica Mazda3....it really is a pretty car, and totally something Jake would drive. Sensible, and not too flashy, just like him....hahaha...okay, not really. He is quite sarcastic in a funny way. Should I rename him Zack? Because right now we have Jake _____ (he doesn't actually have a last name yet...), and Jason Tide. Jake and Jason...someone told me that might be a little confusing...what do you think? Let me know...and B, seriously, I really love ya and appreciate all your comments.

3 comments:

Nat said...

Would you mind if I read it? I think I've read snippets of it, just glancing at the computer while Pete was reading.

Kar said...

Okay, so "B" is Pete? Am I right? I get confused. And yeah, I think two J names does get confusing. I'd change one of 'em. I love how you know your characters and envision them. I know Stephenie Meyer is like that. I read her website all the time. She said that she and Edward "got into a huge fight" when he decided to leave Bella in New Moon. She said she yelled at him and cried while she was typing. I thought that was funny and cool. I'm putting off coming up with an outline for my very first book-writing adventure. Wish me luck. I keep thinking about it - it's like my brain won't let it go until I just sit down and DO IT.

Soozee Carmichael said...

B is Pete...we would call him Pete here at my house, but most of my brothers have gone by Pete at some point in their lives...so we call him B. And an update...Jake now drives a Kona Blue Mica Mazda6...apparently Mazda3s are girl cars, and Jake wouldn't drive a girl car.