Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I've had this story running through my head for the last week, so here's a bit of writing to get it out...

You know how when you're a kid you dream about Prince Charming coming and sweeping you off your feet? And you ride off into the sunset on his white horse? Well, that kind of actually happened for me. I mean he didn't just saunter into my life or anything. His name is James. He was in my econ class. And I noticed right away how smart he was. He had a European accent and I wondered what brought him all the way to the middle of nowhere USA. I went here because I couldn't afford much else. We were barely a university. And he was definitely an out-of-towner.
   
The girls all swooned and fell for him. I didn't. I ignored him. And somewhere along the way we became friends. The first time he kissed me, I slapped him. Not because he did anything wrong, but mostly because I wasn't expecting it. We were arguing about something stupid and he just walked over and kissed me. And then I slapped him. And then I felt bad and he started laughing.

And then he told me the truth. That he was a prince of a small European country. I almost slapped him again. He had come to the middle of nowhere because he really just wanted to fit in and be normal. Not that he was all that normal before I knew he was a prince, but still. I can understand wanting a break.

Royal life isn't all Disney made me think it would be. Not that I'm actually royal. I'm just kind of engaged to a royal. James is the second son and is not heir to the throne. I think, in the end, that's why his parents stopped freaking out about us dating. I am, after all, an uncultured American gold digger out for the crown...or something like that. It also could have been actually meeting them, which I did last spring. James and I went to his hometown for Spring Break. It was actually a really hard trip that ended with us breaking up, but then we got back together and here we are. Almost engaged and having the best summer ever! I just hope it stays this way.
****************

Sorry for the info dump, but what do you think? Is that a good beginning? Is it something that might interest you? Let me know!

No comments: