Monday, June 20, 2011

Inspiration

I have been feeling totally lost when it came to Changing Tyde. I knew there was more to write, I just didn't know how. Then, the semester ended and I had more time to write, so I wrote a few scenes I really fell in love with, the only thing was, they were single scenes, not more of the story. I felt like I was forever away from being done with it.
     A couple summers ago, I hung out with AHG a lot and I was writing quite a bit and I would bounce ideas off him about guys and how my two main guys should act and what not. It was a lot of fun, and I felt like Jason was becoming an actual character. I wrote one scene in particular that I sent to AHG when it was done and he was really surprised by it and said it was really good.
    Now, fast forward two years and I'm still not done writing Changing Tyde. I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall. A few months ago, I recruited Digger to help me just like AHG had, but Digger is incredibly busy. So, last week after church I asked if he had any time this week so I could bounce ideas off of him. He said Wednesday night was probably the only free night he had. I worked until 8, but then we could get together. So, Wednesday night comes and I call him when I get off...no answer...so, I leave a message. About a half hour later I get a text from him apologizing because he spaced it, but that he will make it up to me. So, we reschedule for Thursday night.
     Thursday night around 8PM still haven't heard from Digger, so I send him a text asking if he has time that night, or if he needs to reschedule, or if he is just too nice of a guy to tell me doesn't want to/have time to help me, and that if the latter option is the case to please just let me know so we don't waste our time. No response for like 45 minutes when there's a knock on the door. Its Digger. I open the door and he apologizes again for not being able to meet up. He had work stuff come up again and needs to reschedule. He also said that he didn't want to text me to reschedule because he felt really really bad for not being able to meet with me. He said that he really did want to help me and that he had Sunday afternoon to meet up.
     One of my friends says I am too forgiving, especially when it comes to Digger. Apparently I was supposed to be all hateful towards him for rescheduling again. But, he didn't have to come over to my house to apologize in person. He didn't have to apologize at all, we didn't have a set time or a set plan for Thursday, really. He didn't have to do any of it, but he did. Because he's a good person. As he left that night I could help thinking that he really is one of the nice guys you don't come across very often. Its sooo frustrating dealing with him a lot of the time, but when it counts, he does care.
     So, fast forward to Sunday. I had sent him a copy of my manuscript (which is still just around 100 pages) and highlighted parts I wanted his insight on. We got together after ward stare and ended up talking about it for about an hour or so. It was so great to talk to someone that hasn't heard about this story for the last 3 years (not that I am ungrateful to all of you who have listened to me go on and on and on and on about Jason and Jake and Kyla! I LOVE YOU!!!) it was fresh insight and also, he gave me some great ideas of ways to improve the characters and just some things he thought might help. He didn't know how long the story was until he pulled it up to read it today, so when I asked him what all he read he was like "Suzy, its 100 pages long! I only had time to read the highlighted parts. I had no idea you had that much written" which made me laugh! ha ha!
     Any way, I have a lot of new ideas. Digger liked it a lot and told me I am a good writer and that my story is believable, which is exactly what I was going for. So awesome when you get the idea you are trying to get across. I have a lot of work to do, but I finally feel like I can make progress! HOORAY!
    Also, through out the conversation, Digger brought up Twilight and why it works, which leads me to believe he has read the series, which makes me laugh a little bit inside because if you ever meet Digger, he doesn't come across as the Twilight reading, bachelor/bachelorette watching guy that he actually is. ha ha ha, I'm still laughing a little bit. He's a very interesting guy, but I am grateful for his help. He wants to be kept in the loop on my book, and I am more than happy to bounce ideas off of him.
     Therefore, stay tuned to changes that are sure to come soon to the one and only Changing Tyde. You know you're a little bit excited, as you should be!

No comments: