Sunday, May 22, 2011

AMAZING Cake

So...it was Digger's birthday yesterday, and I made him a birthday cake today. It was AMAZING. Its a time consuming cake, but also really amazing looking when its done. For the directions, I am going to direct you to my good friend Emily's page because she did step by step directions WITH pictures. It is from the first time I made this cake because she and I made it together. She has a link to the original blog that we got it from.
     The reaction was awesome. I sent Digger a picture of the cake and asked what he thought. The response was "ridiculous" which is Digger talk for "amazing" or "awesome". Then, when he actually saw the cake, he was amazed. I did a 9 inch cake and did 3 layers. The pirouette cookies worked out perfectly and I found the most guy-ish ribbon I could find (which still wasn't very manly) to hold it together until it was ready to be cut.
      There was no room on the actual cake to write "Happy Birthday Digger" on it, so I poured the leftover milk chocolate from the strawberries onto parchment paper and then wrote on it in white chocolate and then placed it standing up on the cake to add dimension and awesomeness to it. Then, I placed candles between the strawberries...it was really cool lit up. I forgot to take pictures of that one though. Oh well...


     We took it to a gathering of friends and shared it, and the comments were all good about the cake. The strawberries weren't as awesome as I'm sure they'll be in about a month or so. I am tempted to try this with raspberries because I love love raspberries. And then on the top part I can line up the raspberries and then drizzle the chocolate over the top...wouldn't that be divine?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great job Suzy! It is beautiful. I think raspberries with our without chocolate would be divine! :) Loved the inventive nameplate for the cake!

Becky Pearson said...

My mouth is watering.