Friday, June 17, 2016

Daddy-O

I have been contemplating what to write about on here. I've been all over the place, really. And sometimes I forget that I am just myself on here. I'm not telling you about the great brownies I baked earlier (though, you can read about them on my other blog. AND they're delicious), or pretending to be a very exaggerated southern version of myself. Though, that's a fun blog too. But, since it's Father's Day this week I decided to spend some time talking about fathers.

I have an excellent father in my life. He and I but heads a lot because we have, like, the same personality at times, but I know that he loves me very much and would do almost anything for me. Last spring I was having some car troubles, just some minor stuff, and he climbed under my car and fixed a broken tail light and a few other things that needed to be done. My dad turned 70 this year, and he's still fixing my car when he can.

Growing up, my dad wasn't around a whole lot because he traveled for work from Monday to Thursday every week. Until I was 10 years old I only saw my dad on the weekends. I didn't think anything of it because it's how it always was for me. I sometimes wonder how different things would have been if he'd had a "regular" job with "regular" office hours. But, I'll never know because that's not how it was.

One thing I do know is that my dad is a great man. He is very generous and kind. He looks out for other people and loves to make people laugh. I love watching him with my nieces and nephews. He builds lego towers with them and wi bowls downstairs with them. He makes his "famous" grilled cheese sandwiches for them and they have picnics in the back yard with red koolaid. Hes retired now and has time to do these things. And it's beautiful.

The role of Father is a sacred title. It's one that I think is being diminished daily by the world and society. I am grateful for fathers who care. For men that stand up for those they love. A few weeks ago I got to spend some time with one of my brothers. He has a little baby girl that is gorgeous and I was watching him hold her the other day. She was smiling and giggling and loving him. And he her. I never would have imagined how grateful I am for brothers that take their responsibility to be a father seriously. All of my brothers that have children have shown similar love for their children and I can't help but respect them a little more for how amazing they are. They take the time and opportunity to raise their children and spend time with them. To teach their kids right from wrong and how to be amazing people.

I have friends that don't have dad's in their life either by choice, or not. It breaks my heart to think of anyone not having a dad. So, if you have a dad in your life think about how lucky you are! Think about how amazing your life is!!

More than one of my friends has lost their father far too early in life and my heart hurts for them. It can't be easy. And I don't have the words to bring peace. But I do love you.

Since it is father's day weekend, I hope that we can all take the time to reflect one how great fathers are. And be grateful for all the fathers in our lives, whether they are our fathers, the fathers of our children, someone who stepped in when we needed a father, whatever the case may be, I hope we can recognize the importance of fathers this weekend. And every day.

No comments: