Saturday, February 23, 2013

Soozee's Obsessions (or as I often say in reference to them, Sorry, K?)

I can sometimes become easily addicted to things. Lately they are usually of a British fashion and generally on TV. As I previously mentioned, I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. It was so fantastic!!! And my cake. Oh, my cake. It was AMAZING thanks to my sister in law who did most of the work on it. I helped a little, mostly in the placing of characters (so the universe wouldn't end by having three different doctors in the same place at the same time.) and getting the colors just write (TARDIS blue is a bit tricky...) any way, instead of writing up a whole blog about it, my sister in law did and she put it in so much better words than I ever could. Check it out here. You won't regret it, I promise!

So, I love Doctor Who, we all know that. I think the entire world knows that I like Doctor Who. It's a fantastic show and I've seen all the episodes from the 2005 reboot to present. That's a lot when I think about it.

 I also recently watched another British show that I had heard a lot about. It's called Merlin.
 And I kind of fell in love with it. There's 5 seasons in total, the show just ended and I watched them all in about 2 weeks. No, my grades aren't suffering because of it...yet. BUT, I finished it the night before last and although I love the show it was over, and the end of things always brings a twinge of sadness with it, even if the story ends happy. It ends. And I don't like endings. Because then there's no more. It's gone. And that is always a little bit sad.

Having said that, I will tell you this about Merlin, it follows Prince/King Arthur in Camelot and the knights of the round table, only the story begins when both Merlin and Arthur are young and they kind of grow up together. At the beginning Arthur's father, Uther Pendragon has outlawed magic, which is bad because Merlin is the most powerful sorcerer to ever walk the face of the Earth.

 There's your opening to the story. I think we all know the ill fated story of Arthur and Guinevere and Lancelot and all that garbage in the original story, but that is why I love this show so much. They don't have any of the smuttyness that is in the original story. They keep the characters strong and true to the values that they originally stood for. Arthur remains strong and true to his kingdom and his people. Guinevere doesn't betray him and stays faithful to him. And Lancelot is a really cool guy. At first I didn't want to like him, but then something happened and I was like "okay, I can like him" and yeah...now it's over. But it is a good show.

I can honestly say I have not literally laughed out loud so much watching a show in a really really long time. The writers are geniuses and the banter between Arthur and Merlin is so funny. I really really liked it (obviously). And the guy that plays Arthur (Bradley James) is kind of the type of guy that I see Ian as from my story Lights. If I ever finish that book, and if it ever gets published, and if everyone loves it enough that they make it into a movie, I'm going to petition that if he's not to old by the time all this happens, that he plays Ian, because I think that would be brilliant. That's a lot of if's, I know, but when you dream, dream big, right?

No comments: